[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt question, splitting its output.

Chris Wilson chris at chriswilson.tv
Wed May 20 14:59:03 UTC 2015

Hello,

on 20/05/2015 15:56  you wrote:

> Chris wrote:

>>can I T off the T/Thunderbolt 10MHz feed to
>>this board and take a second sine wave output direct from the
>>Thunderbolt, to drive a transceiver GPS disciplined 10 MHz frequency
>>standard input as well as having it feed the divider baord

> The input impedance of the divider board is nominally 50 ohms (closer
> to 45 ohms, with 1Vrms drive from the TBolt).  If the transceiver has
> a high-impedance input (1k ohm or higher), you should be able to get
> by with a simple "T" connection.  Run coax from the TBolt to a BNC
> "T" at the transceiver input, and another coax from the "T" to the
> divider board.  This will work best if this second piece of coax is
> short (i.e., the divider board and the transceiver are physically
> close to each other).

> If the transceiver has a nominally 50 ohm input or the coax run
> between the transceiver and the divider board would be long, you
> should use a 50 ohm power splitter.  Put the splitter close to the
> TBolt with a short run of coax, then run whatever lengths of coax are
> necessary from the outputs of the splitter to the divider board and
> the transceiver.

> Best regards,

> Charles

As  a  belated  follow  up, is the fact the divider output is a square
wave,  rather  than  a sine wave detrimental to the feeding of the GPS
disciplined  master oscillator? or does it not matter? just curious as
to  whether it is important, thanks. The GPS disciplined oscillator is
this one:

http://www.vk3hz.net/XRef/XRef_Home.html#XRef-Vx

--
       Best Regards,