[time-nuts] Divider circuit for Rubidium Standard

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 23 12:43:29 UTC 2015

Hi

> On May 23, 2015, at 12:37 AM, Charles Steinmetz <csteinmetz at yandex.com> wrote:
>
> Bob wrote:
>
>> The simple answer is that a biased fast CMOS gate will do a better job
>> ADEV wise than your signal sources will.
>
> Maybe or maybe not, at tau ~1 second.  Trouble is, as tau gets larger, the gate performs *worse*.  The switching threshold of all MOSFET logic devices varies all over the place with temperature and supply voltage as well as random drift.  At tau >10 or 100 seconds, these effects become more and more pronounced and xDEV gets worse, even if you take pains to keep the circuitry out of drafts.  Gates are not a good way to square sine waves if you care about stability at longer tau.

Yes indeed, if you have a clock that goes below 1x10^-15 at 1 second and drops linearly with tau from there, you will have issues. If you do not have such a clock. The gate probably will do just fine.

The delta on the gate turns out to be a delta time (as in delta ns / ps / fs). As you go out in tau, the impact (parts in 10^whatever) of that time delta drops linearly with tau.

So: what sort of clock (that you have) are you proposing to look at?

Bob