[time-nuts] TymServe 2100 1995 Issue - A Kludgy Fix

Esa Heikkinen tn1ajb at nic.fi
Sat May 23 13:45:29 UTC 2015

descoubes kirjoitti:

> I am working for HEOL DESIGN company, and we are currently investigating
> this TS2100 1995 bug. We have developped the N024, a clone of Trimble
> ACE III receiver (which is mounted inside the TS2100). They are many
> issues with the TS2100-ACE III internal protocol, and we have good hopes
> to solve it out by N024 software.

Thanks for the information. Of course it would be nice to get the
internal GPS working too.

I was planning that rude solution could be to cut off the GPS serial
port lines and use only it's PPS output so that TS2100 sees it as
external PPS. This would require changes to TS2100 motherboard (PPS
should be routed so that it's feeded to Ext_PPS input). That hack would
throw away anything else than PPS but will keep the unit in time as long
there's no interruption on GPS reception.

Of course this means that the time, leap second data etc. must be set
manually (like now) but the worst thing is that there would be no way to
see any GPS status anymore.  If it loses signal, there will be
absolutely no indication.

Another solution could be like this, but with added microcontoller. Also
in this solution only the PPS is routed to TS2100 directly. GPS serial
port would be routed to microcontroller instead. Microcontroller would
handle the GPS time decoding and follow TS2100's time from IRIG-B
signal. If it notices that TS2100 time is gone wrong, it could correct
the time and leap second settingc etc. by using TS2100 console serial
port. If TS2100 follows PPS correctly, this should only happen in the
startup. This would bring back the automatic time setting but this
requires very much work.

Also in this solution the main trouble is the loss of GPS status. To fix
this, iw could be possible to share the TS2100 LCD display so that also
TS2100 LCD port is routed thru the microcontroller, which could alter
the LCD data from TS2100 before sending it to LCD. In the main display
the 2nd line of LCD shows always "Datum Tymserve 2100", which is kind of
useless information. So the microcontroller could filter that away and
write the GPS status there. TS2100 LCD looks like standard "HD44780" and
it would not impossible to capture the data, alter it and send to display.

Best regards,

--
73s!
Esa