[time-nuts] IRIG-B audio decoder circuits and ICs sought

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sun May 24 19:55:37 UTC 2015

On Sun, 24 May 2015 12:00:01 -0400, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    9. Re: IRIG-B audio decoder circuits and ICs sought (Esa Heikkinen)
>   13. IRIG-B decoder schematic (Tim Shoppa)

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 10:33:47 +0300
> From: Esa Heikkinen <tn1ajb at nic.fi>
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at febo.com>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] IRIG-B audio decoder circuits and ICs sought
>
> Joseph Gwinn kirjoitti:
>
>> When I last used IRIG-B005, the vendor (Symmetricom?) said it was good
>> for a few meters only on shielded twisted pair. I recall that the
>> handling of shield grounds was strange.   This was OK, because the
>> signal was confined to one cabinet, and it worked just fine.
>> But there was no mention that the B005 followed RS422 or RS485 or
>> anything else.  Nor does IRIG 200-04 say this, so I suspect that each
>> company solves it differently.
>
> Yes, there seems to be many implementations.
> Quote from Technical Note TN-102 from Cyber Sciences:
> <http://www.cyber-sciences.com/documents/TN-102_IRIG-B.pdf>
>
> The IRIG 200-04 standard does not define specific signal levels for IRIG-B.
> Typical techniques for transmission of unmodulated IRIG-B include:
> - TTL-level signal over coaxial cable or shielded twisted-pair cable
> - Multi-point distribution using 24 Vdc for signal and control power
> - RS-485 differential signal over shielded twisted-pair cable
> - RS-232 signal over shielded cable (short distances only)
> - Optical fiber
> Typical techniques for transmission of modulated IRIG-B include:
> - Coaxial cable, terminated in 50 ohms or higher.
> - Shielded twisted-pair cable
>
> So your main concern with unmodulated version is compatibility between
> different vendors.

Yes, now and in the future as things fail and are replaced.

>>> Yes, planning to buy at least one spare unit when their prices will drop
>>> on Ebay... :)
>> The problem is that they don't handle GPS week field overflow gracefuly.
>
> Yes. Internal GPS of TS2100 cannot be used anymore, it failed alrady in
> February. Used external PPS since then. Since having external PPS is
> major problem for most of the TS2100 users I hope that the price of
> these units will drop soon on Ebay.
>
> I'm interested to buy especially rubidium version of the TS2100, if
> someone has working one having only the GPS problem...

Are you trying to synchronize a Rb unit via IRIG-B12x?  Tried that
once.  It doesn't work - the IRIG-B12x signal can wiggle faster that
the Rb can follow, so the Rb never syncs, or the sync is ratty and
fragile.  IRIG-B005 can work though.  That was the solution.

> ------------------------------

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 13
> Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 07:05:14 -0400
> From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at febo.com>
> Subject: [time-nuts] IRIG-B decoder schematic
>
> Truetime 820 was made in the 80's and 90's and we have many at my day job
> fed with 1kHz AM modulated IRIG-B120.
>
> Schematic at http://www.trailing-edge.com/IRIG-B-DECODER.pdf
>
> Useful if you also have the theory of operation at
> http://www.arsitec.com.br/arquivos/produtos/man-820-210.pdf
>
> Tim N3QE

Got them; thanks.  I'll sturdy them.