[time-nuts] pp2s? No, 1pps from a Nortel GPSTM!

EB4APL eb4apl at gmail.com
Wed May 27 19:35:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have another Thunderbolt cousin, a NTGS50AA.  For a long time I
desired to have 1PPS from it and even I asked this list for a cue, the
the big chips.
My unit developed a problem and troubleshooting it I found the wanted 1
PPS at TP-33 coming from U2-76.  Given that this GPSDO has two outputs
whose usefulness is dubious, 1/2 PPS and 9.8304 MHz (we don't have a
CDMA tower, do we?), my plan is to use one of these outputs for the 1PPS
signal.  Both outputs have drivers that are identical so probably I will
cut the 9.83404 signal just before the driver and solder a piece of wire
wrapping wire from TP-33 to the driver input.  In that way I will have
1/2 PPS and 1 PPS on the output connectors.
I have checked that the 1PPS is totally synchronous with the 1/2 PPS, I
don't have means of properly check the jitter between both signals but a
scope shows no jitter at all.
The above mentioned problem became worse and finally I had to replace
the whole thing.  Fortunately a member of this list kindly offered to
sell me one of this spare units and now my reference is working fine.
As soon I have a time gap I'll do the modification and publish the pictures.

Regards,
Ignacio