[time-nuts] PM6681 and Timelab

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 18 22:18:04 UTC 2015

Bob,

To illustrate your point.

The original PM6681 calibration setup includes a PC, an ancient Philips
ISA-bus GPIB interface and an ancient Philips driver and a DOS program.
Collecting these and put them together to work will be an interesting
challenge.

A more modern variant of the calibration routines run can run on more
modern HW and LabView software. Philips PM5781 and Agilent 81112A pulse
generators is supported by those routines.

By now the production of the counter has stopped, as the counter core
ASIC ran out of stock.

The folks who designed and maintained them does not work there anymore.

Turns out the core setup requires a generator that creates a skewed
frequency such that you sweep over the interpolation phases. You tweak
the calibration value (3.86-4.50 ns in 0.02 ns steps) that you set over
GPIB using the *PUD command. You can check it yourself using *PUD?.
It sweeps over this range and checks for the value giving lowest RMS
value (SDEV result) and then sets this as the final value.

You can set the value using the command :SYST:UNPR;*PUD %s where %s is
the string, looking somewhat like this:

FACTORY CALIBRATED: %s%s, CALPLS 3.98 ns

The two %s in there is for some string and date, I just don't bother to
dig up a correct example.

Anyway, you can actually read-out the data and write it back without the
software. It should be possible to do something with the existing pieces
and it might be possible to actually get the calibration software
operational again.

I just don't have a CNT81 anymore to try this out on.

Cheers,
Magnus