[time-nuts] time sync from cellphone TO microcomputer

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 20 23:47:27 UTC 2015

A couple of us were kicking around the idea of a low cost JT65-like HF
modem implementation, which requires that the station be synchronized to
1 second.

While this is trivial with a GPS receiver, we were thinking about a very
minimalist implementation, with a smart phone as the control interface.

That brought up another discussion about whether it is possible to get
time sync (at a better than 1 second, but potentially at the
milliseconds level) across bluetooth or WiFi from a cellphone (Android
or iDevice).

Say you wanted to "set the clock" on an Arduino or embedded processor.
Could you do it via a wireless (or, I guess, a wired connection).

Has anyone done it?  the iPhone runtime environment is pretty sandboxed,
and you might not be able to do that.