[time-nuts] KD2BD WWVB receiver/decoder in QEX

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Sun Nov 22 17:41:24 UTC 2015

> On Nov 22, 2015, at 7:47 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As mentioned a nice answer to the wwvb modulation change.
> I looked up the parts and it seems that they have gone into the NOS state.
> Though you can get some from digikey and such especially in the SOIC
> package. Also the VCO isn't available.
> It appears that the Chinese sight has the lmc6484 and LM387n at reasonable
> prices for small quantities. Most likely will order from there.
> Have not checked out the PIC chip yet.
> The 74HCXX are common and reasonable.

That’s kind of a shame. I’m sure a redesign with modern SMD parts could be accomplished.

The big question is how the stability of a wwvb disciplined oscillator would compare to a GPS disciplined one (all other things being equal). Well, it’s a big question for me, since I have no idea, but I imagine simply asking here will give an immediate answer. :)

I’d have to guess that the PLL would behave better given a 60 kHz reference rather than a 1 Hz one. But how stable is that 60 kHz reference after going through, what, a thousand miles of ionosphere or so?