[time-nuts] Einstein Special on PBS

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 28 10:16:32 UTC 2015

The trouble is that they experience different acceleration, due to
gravity, and this yanks the experienced time. In the relativistic world,
the concept of time is not consistent between locations, and the effect
of acceleration between two locations shift it, and this is a
consequence of a fixed speed of light. This is the consequences of fixed
speed of light, that the rate of time needs to shift and this is the
bizarreness of relativity that made many physics initially not accept
relativity. Over the 100 years, we have seen again and again that this
model actually makes sense for all the observations we have.

Elevating a clock from the earth, alters it's experienced gravitational
potential, the gravitational acceleration will be different. This is
similar to sending the clock towards us in a constant rate. Our
experience of their rate of time will be different, and so will they.
Our gravitational acceleration will from the top of the mountain look
like sending us away from them. For both cases the light speed is
constant, so we can only yank the rate of time, because the physics of
the clocks at each such location does not yank.

Think of the oscillators being modeled as

O1(t) = cos(2*pi*f0*T1(t))
O2(t) = cos(2*pi*f0*T2(t))

T1(t) and T2(t) being local time functions. With the clocks at the same
location or otherwise similar locations, these will be about the same.
The physics of the clock sets f0. It's only when we change the
characteristics that alter T1 and T2 that we can observe that
difference. The time t being here some arbitrary non-observable time.

Usually we get away with letting T1 and T2 be t directly, but the fixed
speed of light need us to alter these.

If you now take two clocks of different physics (Cs and H-maser) and
forms two pairs. One that stays and one that goes to the top. Each pair
will be consistent, to the degree they are for normal systematics, but
the mountain pair will both experience the same shift compared to the
valley pair.

Cheers,
Magnus