[time-nuts] A new time nut - and a question!

Christopher Glass tribaal at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:05:41 UTC 2015

Hi list,

I recently got time to build my first stratum-1 GPS timeserver around
a raspberry-pi (first model) and one of these [1].
I would ideally like to have it work as a completely standalone time
source, only getting timing information from the GPS signal it is
receiving (no network peers). As such, I built ntpd with --with-NMEA,
and tweaked things around to the point where I *think* I got it
working, however, my simple question is:

Can somebody tell me whether it's *actually* working? :)

The output I get from "ntpq -c pe -c as -c rl" on the system [2] is
confusing me a little since I see the GPS source being selected as
sys_peer, but the event showing says "no_sys_peer". Is this expected
in case no network source is available?

The last section of the output furthermore shows a difference between
the "reftime" and "clock" fields. Should I understand that reftime is
the GPS time and "clock" the state of the system clock? In that case,
should I see the clocks converge over time?

I apologize if these are easily answered by reading a manual somewhere
- like I said, it's my very first venture in the world of timekeeping,
and I would benefit from having somebody explain things to me.

Thanks for your time

- Chris

Links:
---------