[time-nuts] KS-24361 REF-0 standalone

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Oct 3 00:32:11 UTC 2015

Hi

Given that eBay is awash in various older uBlox devices at really low prices, going for the > $200 a unit single piece price of the LEA-8T seems a bit much. You get all of the core timing functions in the “not T” parts (including sawtooth data). The main thing you get with the 7’s (vs the 5 and 6) is the ability to switch over to Glonass. With the 8’s you get the ability to run Glonass plus GPS at the same time. In both cases, you get nothing from the Glonass constellation that’s worth the switch. In a timing application you likely would run “pure GPS”.

The net effect is that you only loose the position hold mode with the “not T” devices. With a reasonable antenna location the timing performance of these units is actually quite good in “not hold” mode. If you are combining one with a $25 REF-0, then a $20 GPS makes a lot of sense.  You *might* be giving up 5 ns to 10 ns a day of wander due to position issues.

Even with the location hold, you still have about 10 to 30 ns of daily wander from ionosphere issues. Your money probably would be better spent on an L1/L2 GPS that takes this out rather than on a position hold device. eBay has these sort of devices for (almost) the same sort of money as the LEA-8T single.

Bob