[time-nuts] UPS for my time rack

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Oct 11 13:05:07 UTC 2015

Hi

Unless you live in an unusual location, long term power outages are going to be pretty
rare. At the house I’m now in, we had a high voltage feed that was on it’s last legs. We
had short outages on a “many times a week” basis if the wind was blowing at all. We had
rare outages in the > 5 minute range. The short / frequent blip stuff is what most light weight UPS’s
are designed to handle. Not everybody has this problem. I no longer have it, they
ripped out 10 miles of old feeder and the new one works fine.

Indeed there are locations that experience multi hour outages on a fairly regular basis.
The combination of bars closing late on Saturday and a long straight road with an abrupt
turn in it was particularly hard on a feed line I once had to cope with. In that case gas turbine
generators were the answer.

If you have a case where long outages are common, rotary machines are often the better
answer than batteries. In the case above, the power company was the one footing the bill
for the gear. Fair in this case since they were the ones that *could* have moved the line.

If a > 10 minute outage is a “less than once a year” sort of thing, and OCXO’s are your only concern,
let them shut down. The net impact to your lab will be relatively small. The cost to fix the problem will
be relatively large. Short blips often, are well worth fixing.

The hidden issue with running a UPS is the relatively short life of the batteries.
Sealed lead acid is low cost up front, but they simply do not last when charged the way
a typical UPS charges them. Before you go into “can’t be true” mode … plug a 100W light
bulb  load into your UPS and see how long it runs. Battery still *shows* as good on the indicator.
Gizmo only runs for 1/4 the time it should … hmmmm …. It’s very common to go into these
projects with a  reasonable budget, and then find out that the budget to keep it going is
not quite so generous.

Bob