[time-nuts] Symmetricom 58534A-H01, NOS surplus (eBay)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Oct 13 17:36:18 UTC 2015

--------
In message <A00FD6E6-7250-4B28-90EF-F0EA7C0DF6BB at icloud.com>, Gregory Beat writ
es:

>Surplus Ericsson GPS Timing Antennas (58534A), new in box,

>to convert the RS-422 to RS-232 and provide a 1 pps output.

I've used Synergy GPS's version for some NTP servers and there is
one little detail they don't mention too much:  The RS422 circuitry
has a significant tempco.

The PPS signal moves more than a microsecond as a result of this
in danish weather, in particular in clear winter weather.

Other than that, it's a quite convenient way to get GPS on a
roof, since you can use anything from phone-wiring to CAT7
for the cable.

Do think about lightning protection, if nothing else, tie a
knot in the cable right outside the hole into the building.