[time-nuts] UPS for my time rack

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Oct 13 20:28:59 UTC 2015

Hi Tom:

The Li-Ion 18650 size cells (18mm dia x 650mm long) are used in most laptop computer batteries and Tesla cars because
they are made in such high volumes.
The referenced article shows a single 18650 cell, but with about 3.7 Volts per cell you need to connect them in series
and/or parallel to get the typically needed 12 or 24 Volts (and needed amp hours) for backup power.  The big problem is
these cells can easily catch on fire and/or explode if they are mistreated either during discharge or charge.  To
prevent that a protection circuit needs to be incorporated for each individual cell.  The easiest way to do that is to
buy a battery pack with internal protection circuits and matched charger.  Then this can be connected to the external DC
input on an individual piece of equipment.  For example:
http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ionpacks37-89v.aspx
My first precision oscillator was a rack mount Gibbs 5 MHz standard that I got for a very low price because the internal
lead acid battery had vented acid fumes which etched away many of the copper PCB traces inside the oven.
http://prc68.com/I/office_equip.html
http://www.prc68.com/I/rack1.html
Mail_Attachment --
Have Fun,