[time-nuts] UPS for my time rack

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 14 02:30:40 UTC 2015

Hi

One option for the “fuse” part of the DC supply system are PTC resettable
fuses. You *do* indeed need to be careful about voltage and current ratings
on these gizmos. If the only objective is to “not have smoke” when there is a short,
that can reduce the variables to a manageable level. If your wire will handle 20A for
long enough to get the gizmo to limit and your load is typically < 5A there are
parts you can find.

A few cautions:

The trip points are very temperature dependent. If you need to handle -20C in the winter
and +40C in the summer, that will narrow things down quite a bit.

Mounting matters quite a bit. If you go with SMD parts, be careful of traces that act as
heatsinks. This is one case that the part needs to get hot.

There are to many variables on most of the spec sheets to simply pick one and move on.
The only good way to do it is to get several and run repeated tests on them Min carry current
will occur at your highest temperature. Worst case trip will occur at your lowest temperature.

Consider that the “carry current” may not be the real limitation. Resistance in the supply lead
of an OCXO is a bad idea. This may limit your current well below the point that the fuse actually
trips.

This sounds like a pretty scary list. To some degree it is. These parts do have their place. That
does not mean they work everywhere and anywhere.

Bob