[time-nuts] Unified VCXO Carrier Board

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Sun Oct 25 23:43:57 UTC 2015

Am 23.10.2015 um 21:27 schrieb Charles Steinmetz:

> Use medium-speed transistors, bias both bases from the same low-noise
> voltage reference such as an LM329, capacitively couple the emitters,
> and use a higher supply voltage, for starters.  I use
This evening, I have measured some oh so noisy zeners and was pleasantly
surprised.
Other than one 40+ year old glass diode all of them were pretty low noise.

Since the LM329 was mentioned above, I tried it also. Another surprise.
HOW CAN THEY MAKE SUCH A NOISY SUBSURFACE ZENER???

Bias for the DUTs was a 1K wire resistor from 10 NiMH cells. The bias
source does not
add any visible noise. The "shorted" trace shows the noise floor of the
system. That is
about 220 pV/sqrt Hz.  FFT analyzer is an Agilent 89441A. It has strong
1/f noise that is
barely hidden by the preamp. 0 dB = 1nV/sqrt Hz

> MPSH81/MMBTH81s and a power supply of around 20v (see attached
> schematic) for a reasonably
> optimized implementation.  Other transistors can be used, but I've
> found that the H81s work better for squaring 1-10MHz sine waves than
> anything else I've tried -- they hit the sweet spot of the
> bandwidth/gain tradeoff and have a nice flat gain vs. current
> characteristic.

Are there differences between Fairchild and Motorola?

regards, Gerhard