[time-nuts] Celestial Navigation instruction being reinstated in the US Navy

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:00:41 UTC 2015

It's also interesting that they are not teaching/using printed tables.  They enter the readings into a computer to calculate the location...  assuming the computer has not been EMP'd or hacked.   It's much harder to EMP/hack a book.

I was taught the subtle wonders of celestial navigation in my high-school NAVY ROTC course in the early 70's.  I wrote a FORTRAN program to do the calculations on an IBM 1130.  Commander was quite impressed...  I was offered a chance to attend the Naval Academy.