[time-nuts] Digital Phase Lock Loops

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Tue Oct 27 07:42:46 UTC 2015

Jim wrote:

>I would think that any of the GPS disciplined oscillator schemes
>that have been discussed on the list would be a good start.

Alexander and Dave recommended Roland Best's PLL treatise.

Re: projects discussed on-list -- These are almost all FLLs, not
PLLs, and almost all have significant design shortcomings at the
stage of development we have seen.

Re: Best's treatise -- No one book is anywhere near a sufficient
resource.  Best's is certainly one of the must-have books, but so are
Gardner's (the single best, IMO), Egan's, Stephens's, Wolaver's, and
a half-dozen others.

As to designing digital PLLs, I'm not aware of any "cookbook-style"
approaches.  One reason is that there are so very many ways to build
"digital" PLLs.  (Note that analog PLLs using logic gates for the
phase or phase-frequency detector are often called "digital" PLLs,
but they are not.  Some people call what you are probably thinking of
"all-digital PLLs" ("ADPLLs"), to mark this distinction, but in
reality many bona-fide DPLLs are not really *all* digital.  In
particular, practical DPLLs often use analog phase or phase-frequency
detectors before digitizing (but some really are all digital,
including the PD/PFD).

A good exemplar of DPLLs using analog PD/PFDs are the Quartzlock PLLs
that Ole Petter Ronningen mentioned in his post of 17 Oct.  The
architecture described in the Quartzlock documents is essentially the
same as what I have used with good success.  I and Q signals are
developed from the controlled oscillator and fed to I and Q phase
detectors, where they are compared with the reference
oscillator.  The PD outputs are digitized and the loop filter and
tuning signal are implemented in software.  Note that you want lots
of bits in the tuning DAC -- more than you might think you
need.  Quartzlock uses two, 16-bit DACs deployed to give 24 bits of
fine control with another 8 bits of coarse control to trim long-term drift.

I develop the quadrature signals in the analog domain before
squaring, or with a quadrature divide-by-4 after squaring, depending
on which has lower PN at the frequency of interest.  The Quartzlock
modules are designed to work over a wide range of frequencies, so
they generate the "Q" signal with a programmable delay line to a
granularity of 0.5nS.

In my experience, this basic architecture works extremely well and
can readily produce bandwidths of 1mHz or lower.  However, the devil
is in the details and there are a *lot* of details that need to be
worked out before you have a useful DPLL.

Best regards,

Charles