[time-nuts] Low noise quartz crystal oscillator by Bruce Griffiths

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 04:21:15 UTC 2015

Yes, more the termination .... Ulrich

In a message dated 10/28/2015 9:02:56 P.M. W. Europe Standard Time,
magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org writes:

Hi,

It is well worth mentioning that a crystal filter on the  output can
become a challenge, as the source impedance can be far from 50  Ohm, and
thus a bit of a challenge depending on how you  measure.

Cheers,
Magnus

On 10/28/2015 06:11 AM, Bruce  Griffiths wrote:
> Ulrich
>
> Surely you meant to  write
>
> PN(SSB) = -177 -Pout + NF
>
> If we attempt  to apply this equation to the 10811A for which you
measured a PN floor of  -174dBc/Hz
> this implies that
>
> NF - Pout =  3dB
>
> Best case (NF = 0dB - unlikely! Pout would need to be much  higher for
nonn zero NF)

> Pout =-3dBm or 500uW.
>
>  The question is identifying this power.
> The crystal dissipation is  50uW (HP Journal March 1981 p24)
> The signal power dissipated in the CB  stage input R is around 10% of
this or about 5uW.

> The answer  to this conundrum is surely that the equation for PN doesn't
apply directly in  this case
> for offset frequencies outside the crystal  bandwidth.
> The Crystal actually bandpass filters the signal and PN  noise generated
by oscillator.
> For offset frequencies outside the  crystal bandwidth the oscillator
generated PN is greatly attenuated
> so  that the noise of the buffer amplifier chain (CB stage plus output
amplifiers)  dominates.
> In calculating the noise floor of the buffer amplifier  chain the fact
that the crystal has
> a high impedance at these  frequencies should be taken into account.
>
>  Bruce
>

>       On Wednesday, 28  October 2015 8:34 AM, "KA2WEU at aol.com"
<KA2WEU at aol.com>  wrote:

>   I have bought and measured the  hp10811 at about -174dBc/Hz. The
interesting  thing is  the feedback  capacitor from collector to base which
changes Rin=1/gm. Unless the circuit  has a hidden Q mulitplier the PN (SSB) can
never be better then 177 (kT) in  dBm  + Pout  in dBm - NF of the oscillator
transistor. Many of the  GB stages are potentially unstable , so the
"hopeful' best PN (SSB) is 177dbm  + Pout ! AT 100 Mhz the leaing values are
-146/100Hz offset  and - 183  far out and high crystal dissipation, 2mW or so
Ulrich  In a  message dated 10/27/2015 4:17:16 P.M. W. Europe Standard Time,
bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz writes:
> As Rick has pointed out numerous  times when the output signal is
extracted via the crystal by a CB stage (or  cascade thereof) the PN floor is
determined by the ratio of the amplifier  equivalent input noise current to the
crystal current. That is the amplifier  equivalent input noise current at
frequencies for which the crystal impedance  is high. If one neglects this
crucial point one comes to the conclusion (e.g.  see Eq 4.-1 page 274 of Ulrich
Rohde's: Microwave and Wireless Synthesisers  Theory and Design.) that with
a crystal current of 1.4mA rms and a crystal esr  of 50 ohms that the XO PN
floor cannot be lower than -154dBc/Hz.  Even  the XO circuit in the ARRL
handbook (attributed to Ulrich) using this method  of signal extraction has a
measured PN floor of -168dBc/Hz.  Many other  XO's (including the 10811A
which uses a crystal current of 1mA ) have an  actual PN significantly lower
than this.  One would have thought that  this glaring discrepancy between
"theory" and practice
would