[time-nuts] HP5065A C-field current voltage mod

John Miles john at miles.io
Fri Sep 4 22:36:21 UTC 2015

One idea would be to leave the existing C-field circuit in place with a switch to disable it.  That'd preserve your ability to carry out the second harmonic adjustment procedure, while allowing you to switch back to a stable current for normal operation.

For that matter, it's not clear what "aging process in the A12 RVFR assembly" accounts for the presence of that adjustment procedure in the manual.  Given the absence of any other aging mechanisms other than (very) gradual lamp darkening, I have to wonder if the Implementers mistakenly blamed the RVFR for drift in some other component.  I suppose they could be referring to partial diffusion of the buffer gas through the cell walls... but after 40 years, is there any indication that this is actually an issue?

Has anyone looked into the oven temperature stability to make sure that further optimization of C-field stability is worthwhile?  I'm a bit behind on my email so this may have already come up.

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC