[time-nuts] HP 3048A Alternative to HP3561A?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 5 13:08:57 UTC 2015

Hi

Given that the unique stuff is in the 11848A and the rest of the system is not all
that unique - there is a solution:

One could re-write the code (more likely write the code from scratch). Yes, that
has been suggested a lot of times. It is a pretty major undertaking. Some of the
interface to the 11848 is documented only in the 3048 code. The code we
have now dates *way* back.

I bugged the original author about an update back in the 90’s. Computer upgrades
had already started showing issues with the code. Even then it was a “not going
there” sort of thing. I even think I bought lunch. We are now > 15 years past that.

With enough tweaks, the right cards, and a really old slow computer, the software
will still run. There are 3048’s still in use on a daily basis in a number of factories.
More or less, you want:

1) A junk video card. Nothing fancy, nothing with acceleration. The idea is to slow everything down
as much as possible.  Low resolution works fine with the 3048 code.

2) Very little memory. Again, the idea is to cramp the OS as much as possible so it slows down. If
the computer seems sluggish, that’s what you are after.

3) An original HP or National Instruments card from the 1990’s. Do not try to get it running
with anything other than the bare drivers. There are a few more modern cards that
you can get working, that gets into voodoo tricks with this and that driver in some cases.

4) The oldest OS you can stand. Windows for Workgroups 3.11 would be ideal. The code
started to show problems when Win 95 came out. It can be run on more modern OS’s. The
tricks  and computer selection just gets a bit more involved.

5) A single core processor with a slow clock. When this was new the idea of GHz applying
to CPU clocks was not even on the horizon.

Yes there is more in the same line of thinking that applies to specific setups. That should
be enough to get you headed in the right direction.

Bob