[time-nuts] wwvb gps d-psk-r details

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Sep 25 11:04:15 UTC 2015

Hi

Given the (relative) low precision required of the “dummy” timing data, other sources than GPS can be used. NTP
level precision may be adequate if you have a good NTP source. Of course if GPS catastrophes are the concern,
accurate NTP probably isn’t going to be a viable thing.

The more interesting timing source would be a good WWVB clock, possibly upstream of the DPSK removal device.
Once you got things bootstrapped with GPS, switch over to WWVB.

There are other alternatives. Now that we have a working demodulator, experiments can begin to figure out which
one(s) works.

Indeed the question of “what’s the target application?” is relevant. In many ways simply having a second reference
is the desired outcome. That’s what interests me and this gizmo does that quite well. There are always things that
one wonders about in any system. An independent reference chain is sometimes just the thing you need to work
some of them out.

Bob