[time-nuts] Z3801A expert?

Ben Hall kd5byb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:10:02 UTC 2015

Hi Hal and list,

On 9/24/2015 2:29 AM, Hal Murray wrote:
> It runs all the tests again and didn't find any errors, but it remembers that
> it has seen an error sometime recently that hasn't been cleared.

That makes sense - I was able to find a log entry in the diagnostic log
saying "self-test failed."  If I power-cycle the unit, it will boot up
and fail the self-test again.

Interestingly, the error queue reads +0, "No error".

> There may be a clear-errors command.  If you can't find that, there is
> probably a restart command that goes through the whole boot sequence all over
> again.

I dug *deep* into the manual last night.  Couldn't find a command that
would do that, but I'm convinced now that I've got a real error that's
recurring versus one that set once and cleared.

The hardware status register when polled says "1" which per the manual
translates into "self test failed."

Interestingly, the unit seems to be performing fine.  After all the
reboots and me fiddling with it last night, it settled down to a PU of
5.0 us/initial 24 hours and TFOM = 3, FFOM = 0.

I'm going to run the unit until it fails.  With a power-on-time of 13.5
years, it probably doesn't owe me a thing.  :)

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb