[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitters

Martin A Flynn maflynn at theflynn.org
Mon Sep 28 10:32:25 UTC 2015

Hi folks,
Need a bit of advise:   I have a project underway that requires multiple
GPS receivers.   They all provide 3V power to the antenna.    My
existing antenna is a generic KS-24019L112A (26dB) that needs 5V.
There's about 75' of 1/2 heliax between the receiver location and antenna.

Best fix I can come up with is using a re-purposed  Spectracom 8224*
splitter  with an external power supply for the antenna, and DC blocking
at the receiver ports.

Two questions

 1. Is there another vendor I should be looking at?
 2. Do I need to add gain at the splitter (options are -8.5 dB or +18
    dB).  Heliax chart says 2.771 dB loss per 100' @ 1.5 GHz, with
    another dB loss in the connectors and protector.

Cheers,

Martin Flynn

*http://spectracom.com/ProductsServices/TimingSynchronization/GPSAntennasAccessories/8224GPSAntennaSplitter/tabid/147/Default.aspx