[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitters

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Mon Sep 28 13:19:13 UTC 2015

I just went through this exercise. You can use DC blocking on all ports and an injector, but they also have splitters where one port is a DC-pass and the rest are DC block. You use the pass port for a device you’re just always going to have hooked up. In my case, it’s the GPS module on a Raspberry Pi I use for an NTP server.

If it’s a GPS splitter, the DC block ports most likely also present 200 ohm DC loads. This lets auto-switching GPS receivers and modules “feel” the presence of the external antenna. Mine is an amplified splitter, with the amplifier also powered by the pass port. Gain in the distribution splitter is a good idea, but your remote antenna should also be an active one, otherwise by the time the signal gets down the long cable it’ll be down in the mud by the time it’s amplified.