[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitters

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Sep 28 11:41:07 UTC 2015

Hi

Mini-Circuits will happily sell you DC injectors with a variety of connectors on them. For a basement lash up, there are satellite TV splitters at your local big box store that have DC inputs. Some of the lightning protection interfaces from people like PolyPhaser have DC bias inputs.

Gain wise, a lot depends on the GPS units you have and the real gain of the antenna. The splitter should dump 3 db each time you double the number of outputs. An 8 output splitter will have a bit over 9 db of loss, 4 outputs will loose 6 db. If 8.5 db is the total system loss, you have about 20 db of gain in the system.

For most GPS devices 20 db of gain is a lot. If you have survey grade units, they will need more than that. If you have really old GPS modules that may be close to the limit
they will take. If your GPS devices are modern (designed in the last 10 years) they likely are happy at 6 db or maybe even less.

Bottom line, I would not put a 20 db amp in your system ….

Bob