[time-nuts] Lightning 1, tbolt 0.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 1 11:40:12 UTC 2016

Hi

Like many others, I have had no problems with the Maxim RS-232 chips running at 3.6V. They have a nice table in the data sheet that includes the proper caps for 3.6V operation. The data sheet clearly states that they will run from 3.0 V to 5.5V supplies. They call out the capacitor values as minimums, so even a wide supply range design can be done with fixed values.

Like any other i/o chip, they are “the first to fail” when you get a nutty voltage issue between two devices. They are pretty rugged, but are not invincible. Lighting is not a friend …

Bob