[time-nuts] Advise on building a DIY GPSDO?

Tom Holmes tholmes at woh.rr.com
Mon Apr 4 16:18:07 UTC 2016

The preceding questions always come up when a newbie comes up on the list wanting to build their own GPSDO. They are all good questions from an engineering/management viewpoint, but this latest incident reminded me of conversations I had with my father some 50+ years ago when I wanted to tackle some project and needed some resources. His most common question was why do you want to do this? My usual poorly thought out answer (hey, I was an adolescent at the time) was simply "because I want to". I would then get the obligatory lecture on needing a better reason and having a plan, but then he would often provide some subset of the resources I asked for ($$) so that I could proceed. Naturally, I resented these probing interrogations into my motives and poor project management skills, but learned to accept them as the cost of doing business with the old man. Being an engineer himself, he understood that whether or not the project was a success that I would learn something from the enterprise.

I'm not saying that the questions posed are not relevant and important, as well as useful; I just wonder if we are discouraging the learning process that most of us went through to get where we are.

Tom Holmes, N8ZM