[time-nuts] Advise on building a DIY GPSDO?

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Mon Apr 4 19:12:03 UTC 2016

As a victim of the "I'm gonna build a GPSDO" virus, I think the cautions are well worth mentioning.  Building a decent GPSDO sounds like such a simple thing, but it slowly turns into a rabbit hole as you discover you need ever better test equipment, and a microscope, and hot air rework station, and gaining the skills in designing the electronics and laying out boards.  And then there's the time.  I've got over 2 years invested in nothing but this GPSDO project.  I'm retired, so I'm not talking about an hour or two after work, either.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it, if they have a good idea what it's going to cost going into it; both in terms of time and money.  Suddenly discovering that you really, really need a Cs standard else all the work you've done is wasted, is a big shock.

I'd have to agree with others that the best path to take is to find a proven design and build it.  Then decide whether you truly want to come up with something of your own.  Just remember the cost.