[time-nuts] Advise on building a DIY GPSDO?

Bill Hawkins bill.iaxs at pobox.com
Tue Apr 5 05:04:54 UTC 2016

No disrespect intended, but it seems to me that human technology is
built on the published experience/mistakes of others.

A newbie would do well to read the experiences of others before
investing the first penny in hardware.

TVB, Magnus Danielson, Bob Camp, Jim Lux, Attila Kinali and others have
been there and done that. So have I but I wouldn't compare myself to
them. First I got the $300 HP Z3? GPSDO units, then I tried some equally
expensive Lucent units. I did get the $750 HP Rubidium and learned from
the construction and operation. Then I got the $1200 Caesium standard
and learned that I'd have trouble shipping it. That stuff is all gone
now, much of it to paid junk haulers.

I don't regret it, though. Education can be expensive. The high point
was talking to a Minnesota professor of physics about the FTL neutrinos.

Time and frequency can be measured to a precision/accuracy that is not
possible for volts, amps, and ohms. It's exciting stuff, and
correspondingly difficult.

FWIW

Bill Hawkins