[time-nuts] Building a mains frequency monitor

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 05:31:37 UTC 2016

Transformers really are nearly noiseless.  They can pick up magnetic fields
but most of that is the 60Hz you are trying to measure. (the problem is
normally with audio transformers picking up the 60Hz)

A transformer is by far the safest way to go.  I'd even go so far as to use
a split bobbin type so even if the transformer fails you are still safe.
So look for a _quality_ name brand plug-in transformer with AC output and a
"UL" stamp on it.

I think you really do want a zero crossing detector.  The biggest source of
error is going to be the non-constant AC line voltage that might go from
125 volts to 110 volts depending on the time of day and it might even cycle
along with the next door neighbor's air conditions unit or if your
microwave oven is running.

even with zero crossing I think the very best why to do this is to assume
the trigger is not perfect so you try and measure the imperfection then
remove it in post processing.   So perhaps you have two triggers that in
theory should be symmetric.  One measure the raising edge the other the
falling edge.  They should be exactly 180 degrees out of phase and have the
same period.  You compare what should be to what is measured and assume the
difference is some kind of imperfection in the trigger that needs to be
accounted for.

Then you do your best to fit a variable frequency sine wave to your data
points.

Are you only interested in frequency?  What about line transients?  For
that you simply run the AC into a A/D converter and log all the data points
at maybe 48K samples per second.  Sounds like a lot of data but with not
really, only a few hundred megabytes per hour and you can trash the data
after it is processed  You likely be looking at an FFT to get frequency
domain data from your sampled AC line.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California