[time-nuts] Building a mains frequency monitor

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Apr 11 01:59:30 UTC 2016

cfharris at erols.com said:
> A more modern name for a synchronous motor is a permanent magnet stepper
> motor.  Any PM stepper, and a couple of microfarad capacitor becomes a
> synchronous motor when connected to the power line.

The old pre-digital way of generating a rotating field for a synchronous
motor was a shaded pole.  They worked well for low torque applications like
clock motors.  I saw plenty of them when I was a kid.  The rotor was hidden
in a package with the first layer of gears.  I assume it was a permanent
magnet but never took a package apart to verify that.

Good pictures here:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaded-pole_motor

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.