[time-nuts] Precise Time transfer and relative position over a short baseline

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 07:05:28 UTC 2016

Dear Bruce

I think it will be very difficult to achieve synchronization at the level
you want using GNSS signals. The BIPM would only claim 2 ns accuracy for
calibration of the delays in a GNSS receiver plus antenna. When you process
carrier phase data, you typically see jumps at the day boundary of the
order of 1 ns, reflecting uncertainties in the model. There's  some
reduction in ionospheric noise and systematics because you would be
operating almost zero-baseline eg two identical receivers in our lab track
each other at the level of 100-200 ps, but again, calibration of absolute
delays below 1 ns is hard.

If you really can't use cables then you might consider free space signals
like a laser beam or microwaves. There is plenty of literature about free
space optical links. One example of a microwave timing link is
http://www.locata.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/USNO-Wide-Area-Wireless-Network-Synchronization-Using-Locata-ION-Publication-9-20-2015.pdf

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz