[time-nuts] Precise Time transfer and relative position over a short baseline

Ilia Platone info at iliaplatone.com
Mon Apr 11 18:14:48 UTC 2016

If using this system can the relative positions of the telescopes be
calculated also? You said the delay corresponding with 1mm is about 1ps,
so during processing we'd calculate the relative positions also using
delays between the various stations, if using common-view pulses at a
different frequency also, positions would be adjusted later with such
precision.

Regards,
Ilia.

Il 11/04/2016 14:33, jimlux ha scritto:
> On 4/11/16 1:40 AM, Björn wrote:
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> For such short baselines single frequency GNSS should be able to keep
>> fixed integer solutions. Not sure how much money thas is going to
>> save, since you might need timing specific geodetic receivers to get
>> external 10MHz input.
>>
>> Did you consider implementing time transfer using time reversal using
>> say a sdr tranciever (usrp or other) where your clock is driving the
>> radio. As done on HF by Yen & Sengupta at last PTTI.
>>
>> https://www.ion.org/ptti/abstracts.cfm?paperID=3373
>>

> VLA used VHF (I think) radio links to provide common phase reference
> among apertures.
>
> Consider, for example, using a 1 GHz CW carrier among your stations.
> With good SNR, tracking phase to 1/1000th of a cycle should be
> straightforward.
>
> The challenge will be (as always with this kind of thing) the
> mechanical effects.  Motion of 1mm is 3ps.
>
> On the other hand, my victim detection radar trivially measures 1mm
> displacements in path length with 20 dB SNR with EIRP of 1 mW, omni
> antennas, and a range of 30m with a 0.1 square meter target.  That's
> at 3 GHz.

*Ilia Platone
via Ferrara 54
47841
Cattolica (RN), Italy
Cell +39 349 1075999
* --
Questa email e qualsiasi allegato sono riservati e potrebbero anche
essere confidenziali. Qualora non foste il destinatario ed aveste
ricevuto questo messaggio per errore siete pregati di informare
immediatamente il mittente (via email) e di distruggere questa email e
gli allegati dal vostro sistema. Qualsiasi uso, distribuzione,
riproduzione o rivelazione da parte di terzi diversi dal destinatario e'
severamente vietata per legge.
Grazie

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this
message in error, please immediately notify the sender (by email) and
delete this email and any attachments from your system. You are hereby
notified that any use, distribution, reproduction or disclosure by any
person other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.
Thank you