[time-nuts] Building a mains frequency monitor

Alexander Pummer alexpcs at ieee.org
Tue Apr 12 21:30:57 UTC 2016

just look what is happening in one amplifier which happened to be a bit
to slow for for the passing trough signal. The part of the spectrum --
which  can't make it -- although will not show up at the output, will
not disappear, but --if the amplitude is large enough --  overdrive
parts of the amplifier, causing recovery effects and delays. the delay
will influence the propagation of the desired signals too..... That is
particularly important if the desired signals  position on the time
range is important.
Also, by comparing the structure of a comparator and an amplifier it is
very good visible, that a comparator, has much less stages which have
all relative high bandwidth and lower gain, and the dominant pole --
which at the mentioned amplifier [LM358 ] is not much higher than 5
[five] Hz, yes you could see it here:
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/LM358-D.PDF
It could happen that the signal coming out from a miss-used amplifier
look very nice, but it is very likely, that it is not exactly correct,
and there is a good reason, why the solid-state industry produce not
just amplifiers but also compactors, which would need pre-filtering, but
provides the correct output signal
73
KJ6UHN
Alex
who used to be corporate applications engineer at ON Semiconductor,
Intersil Corporation and Elantec