[time-nuts] Where does the source time for GPS come from?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Apr 12 21:26:30 UTC 2016

On Tue, April 12, 2016 2:11 pm, Sean Gallagher wrote:
> I recently wrote a paper for school on precision time and from my
> research it seems that the US Naval Observatory is the main source of
> time for the United States. So I would assume that this is also true for
> the Master Control Station in Colorado and that they get their source
> time from the Observatory as well?

Page 38 of this document states that the accuracy requirements are
measured relative to UTC(USNO), which would be US Naval Observatory.

http://www.gps.gov/technical/ps/2009-civil-monitoring-performance-specification.pdf

A google search for "how is USNO time transferred to GPS control" found
this document from the USNO web site:
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/time/gps/usno-gps-time-transfer

--
Chris Caudle