[time-nuts] Fast risetime pulse generator

Bill Byrom time at radio.sent.com
Wed Apr 13 05:03:03 UTC 2016

The Tektronix 067-0681-01 was widely used in the 1970's and 1980's for
oscilloscope calibration. It produces a <125 ps risetime edge using a
tunnel diode. But it was designed for use with a large driving voltage
slow pulse (60 to 100 V p-p):
http://w140.com/tek_067-0681-01.pdf
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/067-0681-01

The Tektronix SD-24 TDR sampling head (which was used in the 1180x and
CSA80x mainframes, such as the 11801B and CSA803A) generated a 27 ps
risetime rising or falling 250 mV step from one or two channels. But
you would need a working sampling scope mainframe to operate the
sampling head.

There are many other products (past and present) which can generate <150
ps risetime pulses. For example, the Tektronix AWG70002A arbitrary
waveform generator has <27 ps risetime (10 bit D/A analog output, 500
mVp-p single-ended or 1 Vp-p differential) and <35 ps marker (digital 1
V p-p) outputs. This product uses SiGe technology. But I'm guessing that
you are looking for something inexpensive that you can lash up rather
than a commercial generator.

If you are building up something, you probably want a SRD (step
recovery diode) or tunnel diode. But both may be hard to find and
expensive these days.

I agree with earlier comments that the Analog Devices SiGe voltage
comparators appear to be a good choice, with 37 ps typical rise/fall
(20%/80%):
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADCMP580_581_582.pdf
The evaluation board single unit price is about $299:
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/evaluation-documentation/310187823ADCMP572_3_80_1_2EB_0.pdf

--
Bill Byrom N5BB