[time-nuts] HP 54542A calibration

BIll Ezell wje at quackers.net
Wed Apr 13 22:42:06 UTC 2016

I saw in passing a question about preserving cal constants and
calibration in general.

These scopes have NO externally-loaded cal constants, and no way I know
of to either export or import them.
They're (almost) completely self-calibrating. The details are covered in
the service manual.

The only thing you have to check (or can change) is the +5.2 volt supply
accuracy. That's used to derive internal voltages for calibration.

There is one other adjustable setting, but HP says it does not need to
be adjusted routinely and should not be changed unless you replace an
attenuator, acquisition hybrid, or the main board. It's to set the HF
response for the channel in question. But, it's a real pain to do
because you have to move the power supply and you'd need to make up
extension cables to do so.

There is a reference to 'default constants', but those are not specific
to an individual scope, they just adjust everything to known values for
the self-calibration.

BTW, I'm impressed with the triggering on this scope. I decided to see
how it handles 1Ghz. Triggers perfectly. Response is 7 dbV down from 500
Mhz but perfectly usable. Triggering was rock-stable. There are also an
amazing number of ways to do triggering.

--
Bill Ezell