[time-nuts] ADEV and fractional frequency (was: HP 5360A History?)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Apr 14 10:18:07 UTC 2016

Hoi Jeremy,

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:16:02 -0700
Jeremy Nichols <jn6wfo at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would appear that the Allen variance as defined at the bottom of page
> 4 in TVB's reference to the December 1970 HP Journal (thanks, Tom!) is
> the same formula as that used for "fractional frequency deviation" in
> other HP publications on the 5360A. This is helpful to me because I've
> been tearing my hair out trying to find one reference that equates the two.

Do you mean by "the two" ADEV and fractional frequency? If so,
could you enlighten me where the confusion comes from? Because
the formula you refere to in the HP journal is just a different
way of writing the standard two sample ADEV which you can also
find on wikipedia.

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.