[time-nuts] Looking for insight with an hp 5350B 20GHz counter

walter shawlee 2 walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
Thu Apr 14 15:48:04 UTC 2016

I recently got a nice looking 5350B counter, but bench tests showed a strange
problem.  the low frequency section is fine, but the high frequency section only
runs to 14Ghz, and is about 20dB less sensitive than it should be (-10dBm v.
-32dBm).  the manual shows that there is nothing between the input and a
mysterious undocumented circle labeled U1 Sampler.

There are no real diagnostics for this portion other than a live signal, and it
appears to a non-user service item. Overloading the input is a tragically common
way to damage the front end, so I am a bit worried that is the problem here. Is
there anyone with some similar experience with this counter that can give me a
bit of good troubleshooting advice?  there is a very good and detailed set of
diagnostics for this unit, except this one input portion, but it would be
helpful to know if this is symptomatic of a damaged input sampler before I burn
up many bench hours testing everything else.

all advice welcome,
regards,
walter

--
Walter Shawlee 2, President
Sphere Research Corporation
walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
WS2: We're all in one boat, no matter how it looks to you.
Love is all you need. (John Lennon)
But, that doesn't mean other things don't come in handy. (WS2)