[time-nuts] Trimble SMT 360

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 22:05:55 UTC 2016

Dear Bob,

Sorry, the two plots are identical; it was a drag and drop fumble.

I should have given more detail - "tried many things" included running the
receiver in position hold ( which is the default ) and free run. The
receiver was being logged during operation and always claimed 5 to 10 SVs.
The antenna is roof-mounted with an excellent view of the sky. I tried
multiple antennas just in case, added a bit of gain, tried multiple SMT
360s, compared with other receivers in the lab ( Resolution T, Javad,
Septentrio, VP Oncore) ...

Another thing I didn't mention was that I tried it on a GPS simulator,
except with a position in the Northern hemisphere ( I'm in the South ) and
it worked fine for 12 hours. I wasn't sure what to make of this but decided
to stop spending my time on this because it was really Somebody Else's
Problem to solve.

In the end, I decided to use another receiver for my application ( GPS
common view, for which we'd been using the Resolution T previously ) but
now that that's almost done, I thought I'd have another look at the the SMT
360 problems.

Cheers
Michael