[time-nuts] RG6 or LMR400 for GPS Antenna (Symmetricom 58532A and T-bolt)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 16:05:28 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Ryan Stasel <rstasel at uoregon.edu> wrote:

> Other question: any tips for the exterior N connection? I can "weatherproof" the actual cable-connector crimp, but I'm curious if anyone bothers to "lube" the N connector to keep moisture from otherwise seizing it up.

I've got an antenna like this on my roof.  For all practical purposes
the N connector is in an indoor environment.  The connector and the
cable is inside a pipe that is sealed from weather.  In my case the
pipe extends through the roof into the attic.  No part of the cable or
connector is exposed to the elements.   In the attic there is a small
metal junction box and I make a transition to 1" plastic conduit  The
flexible plastic conduit was cheap and is code approved for low
voltage wring.  It will make a cable change out and easy job should I
ever need to do that.

I used the conduit because like you I was debating what kind of cable
to use.  I went with the cheap kind and figured I could upgrade if
need be.   It's an easy job to use the old cable to pull the new cable
but I never had to do that.  My T-Bolt and Motorola GPSes work well
with the cheap cable.  (my antenna has a 26db amp inside.)
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California