[time-nuts] Lady Heather coming soon to a Linux box near you...

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Sat Apr 23 00:09:46 UTC 2016

Rather than use the Hat, you might consider just using the breakout board and just using hookup wires to connect it up. Connect up the Vin pin to +5, ground to ground, TX and RX to the serial port pins and the PPS pin to GPIO 18. That’ll save you $5, if nothing else.

Add

dtoverlay=pps-gpio,gpiopin=18

to config.txt, comment out the getty on ttyAMA0 in inittab, use dpkg-reconfigure to set up GPSD on /dev/ttyAMA0.

At that point, ppstest should see the PPS output and gpsmon should be able to see the GPS.

I believe it’s still the case at this point that you need to build a custom ntpd with support for the GPIO PPS driver, as it’s not turned on by default in the Raspberry Pi distro.

I did something very similar (wired the same, but I had made my own “cap” - not quite a hat - board for the GPS) to make my Pi Zero public NTP server.