[time-nuts] SE880 GPSDO

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Apr 25 20:51:21 UTC 2016

On Monday, April 25, 2016 09:41:57 PM Ilia Platone wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build a GPSDO with a FVXO-HC53BR-10 (Fox Electronics) VCXO
> and a Telit Jupiter
> <http://www.digikey.com/Suppliers/it/Fox-Electronics.page?lang=en>SE880<http
> ://www.digikey.com/Suppliers/it/Fox-Electronics.page?lang=en>, this serves
> for a datalogger an I want to achieve a highly reliable clock.
>
> This GPS receiver has two clock inputs: a 16MHz, and a 32KHz XT input
> for the RTC functions.
> My problem is this: The crystal must be driven by a voltage depending to
> the phase difference between the GPS 1PPS output and the uC 1s cycles,
> but must I drive (feedback) the RTC of the GPS also from a divider of
> the main clock, or the 16MHz TCXO input, or both (or none...)?
>
> Suggestions of any other component, for driving both the VCXO, and
> possibly for a RTK implementation, are welcome.
> Thank you,
> Ilia.
> instructions there.
What are the timing specifications for the data logging system?
Without this data, its not possible to decide if the proposed GPSDO will meet
these specifications.
Whist its possible to construct a GPSDO using almost any crystal controlled
oscillator, the timing performance will vary widely.
The datasheet for the Fox VCXO you selected does not specify the phasenoise,
jitter or ADEV for the 10MHZ option.

Bruce