[time-nuts] Advise on building a DIY GPSDO?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Apr 27 19:08:35 UTC 2016

Lars,

On 04/27/2016 02:14 PM, Lars Walenius wrote:
> Thanks Magnus and Charles,
>
> Could you please explain a little more about this:
>
> Charles wrote:
>>>   Loop filters in commercial GPSDOs use algorithms that suppress
>>> systematic ripple on the VCO control related to the comparison frequency.
> Magnus wrote:
>> It will be there, so you need to manage it one way or another.
>
> What is the systematic ripple?

On the comparison frequency, whatever it is, there will be measurements
and adjustments. The overtones of the sample rate it represents will be
a systematic "tone".

> Is the comparison frequency normally 1Hz (1PPS)?

Yes.

> What is the algorithms used?

There can be many. Oversampling and smoothing that way helps for
instance. Resolution in adjustment is an indirect way.

> If I sample the difference between the PPS and the divided 10MHz output every second and have a third order loop driving a DAC will I get systematic errors?

Yes. Depending on how picky you are you can live with it or you find
ways to manage it.

Cheers,
Magnus