[time-nuts] A better Lady Heather 4.0 download page

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 05:19:09 UTC 2016

Why not use something that is 100% respectable and well known, like github
https://github.com
You can set up a public project for free.  This is the site that hosts
almost every important software project on Earth and I'm almost not
exaggerating.  They pretty much took over from Source Forge although SF is
still huge.  (Both are free)
https://sourceforge.net
What you get with either of these is more than just a download page.  You
get (1) versioning, (2) bug reporting and tracking, Forum/email list for
your project and web address that has name recognition that users trust.
 but maybe the biggest thing is that no one has to maintain the server,
some one else does that for you

I suspect that now that LH runs a more reasonable platform it will become
about 8 ones more popular and people will make changes and want to
contribute them.  Managing the process manually is not fun and error prone

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> John Miles is now hosting the latest Lady Heather 4.0 files.  His server
> is a little less skeezy than tinyupload.com (which on Windows machines
> apparently offers to update your Java with about every click).  I've used
> tinyupload for years on a Mac, and never got such a "generous" offer.  No
> telling what other scuzz that would install...
> http://www.ke5fx.com/heather/readme.htm
> Linux users should download the .ZIP file and also check the link to the
> Linux install instructions.  There is a heather.cfg file in the ZIP that
> sets some command line options for enabling a singing clock and the analog
> watch face and satellite position map.  You might want to edit that file to
> add a command to select your desired serial port/ethernet connection, etc.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California