[time-nuts] HP 58540A

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Fri Apr 29 01:32:39 UTC 2016

I just thought I'd try the Z38XX program, to see what it shows. Well,
none of the graphic windows, nor the logging windows show anything at
all. I used the Manual Command Entry to test each of the query
strings. At this point, I didn't want to try commands that changed
things. Below are the commands that worked. Many SCPI commands are not
supported. You can't even change the serial baud rate, from what I can
tell.

Unless someone already has a program for monitoring this unit, I'll
have to write something that displays what information is reported,
like number of sattelites. After I grab some dinner, I'm going to read
the manual I downloaded.

The unit did seem to lock fairly quickly. It does report the correct
time, date and my position. The number of satellites tracked was the
same as the Lucent, which also has an 8-sat GPS.

*IDN?
:PTIME:LEAP:ACC?
:PTIME:UTC?
:PTIME:TIME?