[time-nuts] Have I wrecked my FE-5680A?

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Apr 29 19:07:09 UTC 2016

We have to sort of conclude that the failure is either
caused by bad data getting stored, or some sort of overflow
error.

It really is pretty unlikely that the firmware has been
changed, unless you happened to accidentally start a
flash burn routine, and it wasn't qualifying packets
properly.

If it isn't an overrun, or overflow error, then I would
suspect what you are sending to the port.  I have worked
with guys that are totally flustered when doing firmware
for devices that should qualify the data they receive.
When they don't know what to do (or are too lazy to try
and figure out the right thing to do) they simply stub
out the error path and go on.  Yuck!

If you have been sending an ill formed packet, you best
stop doing that ;-)

-Chuck Harris