[time-nuts] Effect of EFC noise on phase noise

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Mon Aug 1 15:21:10 UTC 2016

A good filter in the cable is highly recommended, 5 KOhm  & 1000  uF cleans
many things

In a message dated 8/1/2016 11:12:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kb8tq at n1k.org writes:

Hi

It’s just very standard FM modulation math. The only  gotcha is the
(often unknown) bandwidth of the EFC port. Even on a  precision
OCXO, it might be <10 Hz, it might be over a KHz …. The trap  many
fall into is the “small angle” restriction. You can get into  modulation
indexes that will get the second and third order terms  contributing.
It’s more common to see on vibration, but it can happen on a  noisy
EFC.

Bob