[time-nuts] Effect of EFC noise on phase noise

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Aug 1 15:46:51 UTC 2016

Hi

….. until you discover that you picked the *wrong* capacitor manufacturer and you have
more noise from leakage in the cap than you did to start out with :)  In general “big C and
small R” is the better solution than “big R and small C”.

The pesky part is that with electrolytic caps, the whole “noise current” thing changes as
the voltage moves around. You go to measure things and by the time the gear is set up,
the noise has dropped. Turn it all off, come back the next day and it’s noisy again.

An even more subtle issue can be capacitor temperature coefficient on really long Tau filters. If C
changes (due to temperature fluxuations) faster than the settling time of the filter, you get noise. Charge
is the same so delta C gives delta V.

I *wish* I could tell you that was all purely theoretical. Unfortunately it’s based on empirical data
collected in the “how could I be so stupid” fashion.

Bob